Atomic Habits is a book about developing good habits and getting rid of the bad ones. I have listened to the whole book, no small feat when it comes to me listening to these types of books, and am on my second listen. While I listen to it again though, I need to actually do what they say to do. With that said, one of the things they talk about in the book is spending all your time planning what you are going to do and feeling like that is doing it. I need to make small, concise steps and processes without getting too much in the weeds on planning it.
First Step: Defining My Identity
The first step to building lasting habits is to define my identity in the way I see myself and what I show to the people around me.
• I am the type of person that does what he says.
• I am the type of person that is religious about taking care of my body.
• I listen and respond when speaking with others instead of planning my next statement while they are speaking.
• I think before I speak and act.
• I am direct, honest and empathetic when speaking with others.
First Step: A Few Small Habits
Add a few small habits to your day. Use the stacking technique and capitalize on the habits I already have in the morning to reinforce them. Develop a few habits and follow the 4 rules for creating good habits.
1. Que - The trigger that make you take an action.